Monday, September 27, 2010

Journal 4

Anglo- Saxon society valued many ideals, such as strength, courage and the desire for fame. These values are shown in the English epic, Beowulf. Beowulf himself is the embodiment of these traits. He was known to be the strongest in the land and came to Hrothgar’s kingdom to defeat Grendel. No man prior to Beowulf has been able to take the monster, though many have shown their courage and tried. Yet, he still steps up to the challenge, bringing only a few of his best men. "My lord Higlac might think less of me if I let my sword go where my feet were afraid to, if I hid behind some broad linden shield: my hands alone shall fight for me, struggle for life against the monster (Line)".  When it came down to time, his men didn’t even fight with him. He defeated Grendel using only his wits, no sword or help.  This poem also shows characteristics of a wise leader. Towards the end, Beowulf ruled the Geats for 50 years, embodying the characteristics of a strong, wise, and brave leader.image

No comments:

Post a Comment